The Cathedral Parish through Oil Paintings 

The following collection of oil paintings and photographs depict scenes within the boundaries of the Cathedral Parish. In 1964 and 1965 the Western Mail & Echo published photographs of Old Cardiff so as to capture a fast disappearing environment. Mr. Frank Ashton, a chartered surveyor by profession, obtained permission to paint the scenes. He painted 50 canvasses which were exhibited in Thomson House from 31st October to 12th November 1966.

Lady Moira Hodge, wife of Sir Julian Hodge, collected a large proportion of these paintings over several years. In 2015 the Hodge family kindly donated the collection to the Cathedral to become part of the Cathedral archive.

This is the road bridge crossing the River Taff, originally connecting with the West Gate of the town. This crossing has been replaced and resited many times over the centuries as it was continually damaged by flooding. It was painted twice by Turner during his tours of Wales.

In 1827 the bridge, as seen in our painting, was swept away by a huge flood and was not replaced until 1859. Ironwork railings were added to the structure. In 1877 the bridge was widened to cope with increasing traffic. There was a formal opening of the new bridge conducted by the Mayor and Corporation. The Mayor was attended by the ceremonial maces and accompanied by borough officials. During the ceremony the Mayor declared that the new bridge represented the first manifestation in Cardiff of the fruits that would result from the passing of the 1875 Cardiff Improvements Act.

By 1930 further alterations were demanded as a result of the significant increase in traffic. The bridge was widened and the arc of the roadway was lowered by four feet to improve visibility. The stone bridge was remodelled with arches of reinforced concrete and new stone balustrades. Some Western Mail readers orchestrated a campaign for the retention of the cast-iron balustrade, with its intertwined and richly ornamented circles. Despite this agitation it was decided that the new design could not successfully incorporate the former elements. Dedicated cycle lanes were constructed in 2014.

The bridge is a Grade 2 listed structure reflecting its significance as an example of a pre-World War 2 reinforced concrete bridge. The listing also references the retention of parts of the 1859 construction as well as its connection to the Roman and medieval crossings.

Broad Street provided access to the town from Cardiff Bridge and the West Gate. It connected to Castle Street and to Angel Street. The Cardiff Arms Hotel was located on the west side of Broad Street. The Cowbridge Arms was located on the east side of Broad Street between Castle Street and Angel Street.

The Cowbridge Arms was a beer-house frequented by farmers and carriers whereas the Cardiff Arms was a significant coaching inn where travellers were welcomed.

This strategically important area was redeveloped under the provisions of The Cardiff Improvement Act of 1875.The continual increase in traffic was causing severe congestion along what were a series of narrow streets. It was proposed that the buildings between Castle Street and Angel Street be removed. This proposal included the demolition of The Cowbridge Arms. This was accomplished in 1878. The Cardiff Arms Hotel was demolished in 1883 because it constituted a major obstruction to improving the flow of traffic to the west. Large crowds assembled to watch it come down.

The road became a “wide and noble thoroughfare of what was very little better than a cul de sac” Western Mail June 13 1883

A new and very grand hotel was built on the land that was attached to the Cardiff Arms Hotel. In order to facilitate an improvement to the flow of traffic, Cardiff Corporation proposed the demolition of The Cardiff Arms Hotel. The Corporation purchased the site and accompanying land from the Marquess of Bute.

The new hotel was to be called The Angel Hotel, taking its name from the old Angel Inn that was located on Angel Street which had been the favoured meeting place for the notable townsfolk.

The hotel was built of red brick manufactured at the Bute Estate Brickworks and was opened in 1883. An impressive portico entrance was constructed on the corner at the junction of Castle Street and Westgate Street. The rooms provided splendid views of the Castle and what had become known as Cardiff Arms Park. For many years The Angel Hotel was the most prestigious hostelry in Cardiff. The list of famous guests includes The Beatles who visited in 1965. The Marquess of Bute designed a logo for the new hotel. The Marquess depicted an angel holding the Cardiff coat of arms thus uniting imagery from both The Cardiff Arms Hotel and The Angel Inn.

A newspaper cutting on the back of this painting states that the driver is Mr. David Moore, who came to the city from Bath in 1878 and died in 1934.

He is standing by the drinking fountain which stood in Castle Street in front of the entrance to the Angel Hotel. It was one of two similar fountains gifted to the town by Mr. Alfred Thomas M.P., former Mayor, and erected in 1889. Each cost £100 and was the balance of the grant made to him during his mayoralty for extra expenses. The 15ft. high fountain was cast in iron by Messrs McFarlane of Glasgow. There were four drinking cups and four large tanks to receive the flowing water.

We believe that the fountain was removed in 1934 as part of a plan to introduce pedestrian crossings and road signals to improve traffic flow.

Latest Events

Throughout the year we arrange events in the parish, ranging from musical events to bazaars, prayer groups and parish meetings.

Solemn Evening Prayer and Benediction

August 14 @ 4:30 pm - 5:10 pm
|Recurring Event (See all)

An event every week that begins at 4:30 pm on Sunday, repeating indefinitely

Solemn Evening Prayer and Benediction

August 21 @ 4:30 pm - 5:10 pm
|Recurring Event (See all)

An event every week that begins at 4:30 pm on Sunday, repeating indefinitely

Solemn Evening Prayer and Benediction

August 28 @ 4:30 pm - 5:10 pm
|Recurring Event (See all)

An event every week that begins at 4:30 pm on Sunday, repeating indefinitely

Solemn Evening Prayer and Benediction

September 4 @ 4:30 pm - 5:10 pm
|Recurring Event (See all)

An event every week that begins at 4:30 pm on Sunday, repeating indefinitely

Solemn Evening Prayer and Benediction

September 11 @ 4:30 pm - 5:10 pm
|Recurring Event (See all)

An event every week that begins at 4:30 pm on Sunday, repeating indefinitely

Solemn Evening Prayer and Benediction

September 18 @ 4:30 pm - 5:10 pm
|Recurring Event (See all)

An event every week that begins at 4:30 pm on Sunday, repeating indefinitely

Solemn Evening Prayer and Benediction

September 25 @ 4:30 pm - 5:10 pm
|Recurring Event (See all)

An event every week that begins at 4:30 pm on Sunday, repeating indefinitely

Solemn Evening Prayer and Benediction

October 2 @ 4:30 pm - 5:10 pm
|Recurring Event (See all)

An event every week that begins at 4:30 pm on Sunday, repeating indefinitely

Solemn Evening Prayer and Benediction

October 9 @ 4:30 pm - 5:10 pm
|Recurring Event (See all)

An event every week that begins at 4:30 pm on Sunday, repeating indefinitely

Cathedral Information

There are many different organisations working in our parish and you will find more information about theses here.

Sunday Mass Times

Saturday Evening Vigil Mass – 5.30pm
Choral Mass – 11.00am
Evening Mass – 5.30pm
1st Saturday of the month Solemn Evening Prayer & Benediction 4.00pm – 5.00pm

Monday to Friday

Prayer during the Day – 12.30pm
Mass – 12.45pm

Saturday

Mass – 10.00am
Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament – 10.30am – 4.30pm
Sacrament of Reconciliation 11.00am – 12.00pm and 4.30pm – 5.00pm

Cathedral Council:

TBA: Chair
Mr. Patrick Smalley
Mr. John Fellows
Mr. Michael Prior

Finance Committee:

Mr. Michael Prior: Chair

Music Ministry:

Mr. Jeffrey Howard: Director of Music

Sanctuary Ministry:

Mr. Patrick Smalley: Master of Ceremonies

University Catholic Chaplaincy

62 Park Place, Cardiff, CF10 3AS
Tel.: (029) 2022 9785
Fax.: (029) 2066 8197
Website: www.cardiffcatholicchaplaincy.org (Please note we are not responsible for the content of websites linked to from this page.)

Chaplain: Rev. Dr. Gareth Jones

Sunday Mass: 6.00pm

Nazareth House (Care home/Nursery)
Sisters of Nazareth, Colum Road, Cardiff, CF10 3UN
Tel: (029) 2022 0943
Superior: Sr. Margaret Anne
Chaplain: Fr. Sebastien Jones

The area known as the Welsh Province, comprising Wales and Herefordshire has a long history of Christianity. The martyrdom of SS Alban, Julius, and Aaron is the first landmark in our Christian history.

Christianity made great strides and spread throughout the whole land until the final withdrawal of the Roman Legions in 406. Wales produced many great Christian Leaders including SS Iltyd, Dyfrig, David and Teilo.

During the Norman years the Welsh ecclesiastical system was divided into four Welsh dioceses, St. David’s, Bangor, Llandaff and St.Asaph with the appointment of bishops by the Normans which was only accepted reluctantly by the people of Wales. Later with the extensive influence of various monasteries, the Cistercians, Franciscan, Dominican and other friars helped the process of pacification and acceptance until the Reformation.

Under Henry VIII, Wales became part of the ‘Church of England’ of which he proclaimed himself to be the ‘Supreme head’. All the Welsh religious houses were suppressed with deep social implications for the people. The next two hundred years were a period of great deprivation and persecution for the Catholic faith in Wales and England. The missionary priests were hunted down and were either hung, drawn and quartered as penalty for spreading the Catholic church’s message. These policies caused the number of priests to diminish drastically.

Gradually the penal laws against Catholics were eased and in 1829 resulted in Catholic Emancipation and restrictions on Catholics were removed. From 1688 despite the danger to the individuals, Rome always chose men of piety, integrity, sacrifice and learning to act as vicars apostolic (equivalent of bishop) to the areas of Britain. This was administered by the following monks and friars as Vicar apostolics:

1688 – 1708 Phillip Michael Ellis OSB
1750 – 1750 Matthew Pritchard OFM
1750 – 1763 Lawrence York OSB
1763 – 1797 Charles Walmsley OSB
1797 – 1809 W.G. Sharrock OSB
1809 – 1829 Peter B. Collingridge OFM
1829 – 1840 Peter Augustine Baines OSB

In 1840 the Western district was divided in two Herefordshire, Monmouthshire and Wales became the Welsh district with Bishop Brown OSB as vicar apostolic. Later further changes were made to the Welsh district and the diocese of Newport and Menevia was set up as a suffragan see of Westminster diocese.

1850 – 1880 Thomas Joseph Brown OSB
1880 – 1895 John Cuthbert Hedley OSB

The boundaries were changed in 1895 when the diocese of Newport was redefined as comprising Glamorgan, Monmouth and Hereford. In 1916 the Cardiff Province was established, comprising the Metropolitan Archdiocese of Cardiff with diocese of Menevia as a suffragan see and the following served as archbishops:

1916 – 1920 James R. Bilsborrow OSB
1920 – 1939 Francis Mostyn
1940 – 1961 Michael McGrath
1961 – 1983 John A. Murphy
1983 – 2001 John Aloysius Ward OFM Cap.
2001 – 2010 Peter D. Smith
2011 – George Stack

St. John’s College Cardiff (Cathedral Choir School), Old St. Mellons, Cardiff, CF3 5YX

Tel.: (029) 2077 8936
Website: www.stjohnscollegecardiff.com

A leading independent school for boys and girls, age 3-18, junior and senior departments.

St John’s College is a community of students, teachers and parents where achievement, friendship and faith are central aspects of our daily work together, shaping the course of our young people’s lives as they move from school to university and the world of work. We aim to provide girls and boys with the highest aspirations in their learning and also the values to bring rewarding careers and mature family relationships in adult life.

Academic work, playing and competing in sport, making music of the highest quality, participating in drama and many other facets of growing in knowledge and understanding are given due importance.

Our unique heritage, in the tradition of Catholic Christianity, calls us to hold the highest values of faith, hope and love for one another.

We hope that you will enjoy learning more about this young and still developing school, which has already achieved an enviable reputation amongst the very best in independent education, both in Wales and amongst distinguished peers in England. Our aim is to create the best possible education for our girls and boys, and our young women and young men.

Please contact the school for information with regard to scholarships or means-tested bursaries.

Contact Us

Please call us on 029 2023 1407 or alternatively fill in the form below and a parish member will contact you shortly.